Re: question about using jigdo....

* Michael Fothergill <mikef20000@hotmail.com> [061216 17:13]:
> If you use jigdo to read in bunch of Sarge CD images and then use them to
> help make  Etch CD images then you do the file scan bit on the mounted
> Sarge CD images.....
>
> I assume that jigdo would write the new iso file to your hard drive and not
> try to overwrite the existing CD image.....????
>
> I am using a CD-R disk and so no rewriting is possible.  I most definitely
> need jigdo to write the new file to the hard disk...

As root, mount each image used as a source:

   # mount -o loop sarge-cd-image-number-x.iso /mnt

As a normal user, change to the directory in which the new image is to
be created.  Make sure beforehand that you have sufficient disk space.

After downloading the .jigdo and .template files, run jigdo:

   $ jigdo-lite jigdo-file-name.jigdo

When prompted, tell jigdo where the source image is mounted (typically
"/mnt".

After gleaning all usable files from the source, jigdo then downloads
the remaining files.  A new ISO image is created in whichever
directory jigdo is run.

Unless you have an immediate need to burn a set of CDs, the logistics
can be simplified by creating DVD images.  Note:

    (1) If your need is for CDs, it never is necessary to burn a DVD;
    just keep the DVD ISO image on your hard drive.

    (2) You can use CDs or DVDs as the source, irrespective of whether
    jigdo is creating a CD image or a DVD image.

    (3) When you finally need to burn a CD, use jigdo to create the
    image, taking all files from the DVD image.

If you keep your wits about you, it is possible to run multiple
instances of jidgo, each in its own directory.  Yesterday I used three
instances of jigdo running simultaneously to update the set of three
testing DVD images.

RLH