Re: dumb question about jigdo and i386 and AMD 64 versions of Etch......

On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 20:31 +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> How much commonality exists between the i386 versions of Etch or Sarge and
> the AMD 64 version of Etch?

I expect very little.  I was just wanting to do a similar thing - make a
DVD of my Sarge-AMD64 CDs.  But cdimage.debian.org doesn't have the
3.1r0a jigdo files any more, so I tried the latest ones, and it needed
to download more than 5000 of the 7000 odd packages (of the first disc).
So from Sarge to Etch I don't expect there to be any common packages.

> I am going to do this as an exercise to learn about jigdo and also to find
> the most efficient way of downloading a full distribution from the mirror
> sites.
Jigdo certainly is efficient.  The nice thing about it is if you
download the DVDs and you need to install on a box that has only a
CD-ROM, jy you use jigdo to make the CDs without downloading it all
again.  Although I have noticed that there are some packages on the DVDs
that are not on the CDs and vice versa.

The other nice thing is you can use ordinary apt mirrors (that do not
contain the ISO images) to download and create the ISO images.  And you
can download from different mirrors.  Say DVD1 from one mirror, DVD2
from another at the same time (if you have the bandwidth).

> Motherboard
> Form Factor	Micro ATX
> Socket Type	754 Pin
> Compatible Processors	AMD Athlon 64 and Sempron, Socket 754 (754-pin),
> 1600MT/s
> Cache Level 2 Size	128 KB
> Chipset	SiS760GX + 964
Try to get a board with VIA chipset.  I've never had any particularly
good experiences with SiS chipsets.   Gigabyte has a Micro-ATX board
with, something like K8M800M, which is available in a barebones box and
is good value, and completely supported under Sarge.   We use a couple
of them for mail/web servers.  I've also setup a Linux desktop one one
of them with a 1.6GHz Sempron for my dad and it really flies.

512MB memory is sufficient, but always more is better.  I have 2GB in my
notebook, and I must say, it was worth every dime!  I never utilize all
of it, but that's the point - to never swap.