Re: Add hardware to an existing system

kevin bailey wrote:
> Something I've never known how to do?!?!
>
> Say I've installed Etch (which looks as good as Ubuntu BTW) on to a PC - and
> I then need to install a new graphics card and a DVD burner.
>
> Now I take it that during installation the hardware was detected and the
> various modules were selected and loaded.  How to I tell the system to load
> the new modules required?

Normally, you don't. They will be detected on boot (turn off your
computer and unplug the mains, while opening the case and replacing
parts). Your normal debian system won't mind how many and which DVD
burners etc. are attached when rebooting. Regarding the graphics card it
might be necessary to reconfigure screen resolution etc. via
'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'.

This is not window$. I've couple of times taken a hard disk out of one
computer, put it in a different one with different cd/dvd stuff,
different graphics card, different motherboard, processor etc.

Never been a problem.

The only limits I am aware of are different kernel architectures. You
can't just replace an 64-bit processor with amd64 by 32-bit hardware,
but that should be obvious.

HTH,
Johannes