Re: A market perspective on the impact of dunc-tanc

On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 08:51 +0100, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 21:03 -0500, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > IIRC someone related to the debian project 'holds' the debian.net domain
> > and it is used as a sort of 'staging' site before it joins debian.org.
> > The wiki at wiki.debian.org was on wiki.debian.net first. So since this
> > is a new project, the .net was used and I'd expect that if all goes
> > well, it will be added to .org.
>
> Hi,
>
> I see, that's good to know. Thanks!

"In the beginning" the .TLD had much more significance than the cost to
register it and SEO benefit.

.com -> commercial entities
.net -> administrative networks
.org -> organizations that aren't commercial entities

This all (sadly) went out the window.

A more recent example, .us / .eu and similar.

In a sense, I miss the days of the Internet existing simply just to move
information around the world and make it available to anyone.

I do, however love the economy its created, and self driven careers its
put in front of people who would otherwise not have the chance at
getting paid doing what they love to do.

I just get a little nostalgic when I see someone using something on the
Internet (Debian using its .net) as it was intended to be used, since so
many do not. Sorry to go off topic :)

Best to all,
-Tim