Re: dumb question about upgrading the kernel and SATA disks....

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 01:28 +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:

> >From: andreimpopescu@gmail.com (Andrei Popescu)
> >To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >Subject: Re: dumb question about upgrading the kernel and SATA disks....
> >Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 02:58:18 +0200

> > > I did this. It worked.
> > > uname -a
> > > Linux spc1-burn4-0-0-cust262 2.6.8-3-k7 #1 Tue Dec 5 23:58:25 UTC 2006
> >i686 GNU/Linux
> >
> >Great. Does the SATA disk work?
>
> I have been looking at a shop on the web that sells internal hard drives.
> For about 30 UK sterling I could get either an 80GB PATA type disk or a 80GB
> SATA disk....  I was a bit afraid of buying the SATA disk because I thought
> I would have hardware recognition problems....  But this has convinced me
> that it is not a waste of money to get the SATA drive...
>
> I am also interested in which on line shops you recommend for buying a
> internal hard drive.....
>
> Regards
>
> Michael Fothergill
>
> P.S. How much RAM should a computer have to be happy running Gnome, X and
> e.g. Openoffice.....?  I have 256MB of NVRAM.  Should I upgrade to 512MB.
>
> I am thinking of buying a new box from an outfit in the UK Golden
> Electronics.  For 170 GBP they will give you a box (no monitor) that has an
> AMD 64 Sempron CPU and a decent hard drive and other gear etc....   Plus 512
> MB of RAM.
>
> My notion (trash at will) is that if I buy a 64 bit machine it would last
> longer than 32 bit architecture because the 64 bit machine can handle a huge
> amount of RAM.... So in 5 years time then if the latest version of Debian
> uses much more memory than today to run gnome and OO then I can but much
> more RAM in there e.g. 5 GB than a 32 bit machine could handle.
>
> Is this logical or is it goofy?

Quite logical and good to think ahead. What is the ram limit on a 32 bit
machine, 4Gigs IIRC. That leaves a lot of room for growth I think. I run
a 64bit machine myself with 512M of ram, just because that's the way it
came to me. I find 256Megs of ram plenty (that's what I have at work)
for my needs but depending on what you do on that machine it may not be
enough. Video editing takes a lot of ram so for that 512 - 1024 MB
(perhaps even more) would be needed.

Just my $0.02.. :)