partitions

I'm not sure if I'm messed up here but all advice welcome:

 used the WinXP setup CD to delete existing WinXP 32Gb partition,
 created
 2 new 16Gb partitions, then made some spare space at end a new
 partition
 too (it may have been 2 new partitions). WinXP installed okay into one
of the partitions (didn't create a
 filesys on the others).

 but then it seemed had to change from hda3 to hda6 to boot Debian and
then when do gpart/parted it gives a
 smaller no.
 of partitions than the XP setup made and has a couple with same
 starting
 point (byte? cylinder?)....

I then deleted the new partitions (leaving WinXP in the new but smaller
partition) but still Debian (eg parted) only sees 3 partitions and two
of them start in same place.

Sorry for lack of details - will write them down and post later today