Re: sarge->etch upgrade hits dependency hell

On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 07:38:37PM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 09:04:13AM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately, after the mass upgrade yesterday, the system now boots
> > without either a functioning X or a functioning net.  udev complains
> > that it doesn't have a recent enough kernel, which may be part of the
> > problem (no /dev/eth*, for example).  So the next step seems to be to
> > find out how to tell my apt-sources file to look at an etch-install
> > CDROM (will the netinstall CD suffice for this, or do I actually have to
> > get the first CD of the 15-odd CD set?) as a package-source and then
> > upgrade the kernel.
>
> why don't you boot sarge, chroot into etch and install a kernel from
> inside the chroot? I think udev wants a kernel >= 2.6.15, IIRC.

Interesting possibility.  I've avoided doing much with chroot, because
I'm never sure how much is taken from the old environment, and how much
from the new.  For example, there is the warning about replacing a
running kernel -- which I suppose I might get in a chroot without it
being a problem.  But am I sure?

Just how much is it possible to do in a chroot?

Is it, for example, possible to do an entire Debian install in a chroot?
so that existing users of the system don't have to care while you
install a complete new system in another partition?

-- hendrik