Re: trying to combine apt-cdrom and apt-get install.....

On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 12:06:17AM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:

> OK, let me deal with that.  The best way to do it would be as follows.  You
> would buy the first set of CDs/DVDs from a vendor.  So if it were for Sarge
> 3.1r0, then you would use jidgo to bootstrap to new CD images for Sarge
> 3.1r1, then again for Sarge3.1r2, then r3 and r4 etc.  The number of new
> files you would download then would be small I would imagine and most of
> the work jogdo would do would be to rearrange files on the CD or DVD images
> you started with from the vendor.

well that certainly makes sense. the differences between r0 - r4
should be pretty minimal. jigdo operates on a diff scheme, I take it?

> I am not finished.  You could use the last edition of Sarge before Etch is
> released as a stable version to bootstrap the downloading of Etch using
> jigdo.  Since Etch is about 5 CDs longer than Sarge this would probably be
> a down load of about 6CDs worth of new stuff plus alot of rearranging of
> recycled existing stuff from your Sarge CDs or DVDs to synthesise the new
> Etch release isos using jigdo.

well, here i think it falls apart since you're essentially going to be
downloading every package to go from sarge to etch, aren't you?
certainly, though, following sub-releases as above makes sense.

> I guess you could try to get the vendors to sell only the CDs with the new
> information on them relative to the last release e.g. Etch relative to
> Sarge.  You could then use jigdo to tidy up the mess and stitch your old
> CDs or DVDs to the new bridging CD and then make your new set.
>
> This would reduce parasitic farting around on the servers to a minimum.
>
> Comments appreciated.

your desire to limit server load is commendable. I suspect though,
that the work involved may not be worth it. As I said before, you're
looking at using only a percentage of the total system anyway. By far,
(and this comes with nothing to back it up, just gut instinct) the
least bandwidth intensive way to install is use a net-install image
and then download only those packages you need for your system and
nothing more.