Re: backup archive format saved to disk

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 12/08/06 12:22, Mike McCarty wrote:

hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 05:23:16PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 12/07/06 11:26, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:

[snip]

I looked at it again a few years ago -- some bit rot has occurred in
the lexical analyser, but most of it is still readable.

Huh. Interesting. I've got floppies which are more than 10 yrs old
which read perfectly.

By "lexical analyser", I *think* he meant, "I've forgotten some of
the trickier syntax".

I'm sure he could answer that better than you or I. However,
"bit rot" normally means that some of the bits on the magnetic
medium have either flaked off, or have migrated (a real problem
on low coercion magnetic media) and consequently have become
unreadable by the drive.

A lexical analyzer is part of a compiler. They are typically
lexical analyzer (tokenizer), semantic analyzer, symbol manager,
code generator, machine independent optimizer, code assembler,
and machine dependent optimizer. Some compilers also have an
assembler in them (not what is meant by a code assembler; that
turns the machine independent intermediate code into machine
dependent code, and does instruction scheduling).

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.