Re: apache2 memory footprint

  --received from Roberto C. Sanchez--

> On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 10:42:35AM -0800, Paul Yeatman wrote:
> > Hi, I've recently noticed that two of the four apache2 processes I have
> > running are consuming about 240Mb of memory each.  I'm not doing
> > anything fancy.  A very basic, default web server.  I'm running Etch
> > which is using apache 2.2.3-3.1.  I remember that new apache2 packages
> > were recently released and I don't remember apache2 using this much
> > memory previously.  I tried stopping the apache service and restarting
> > it should something have been awry.  I am seeing tthe same memory usage,
> > however, since restarting.  Is anyone else getting this?
> >

> What modules are loaded?  Are you using mod_rewrite?  If so, are your
> rules correct?  It is very easy to get mod_rewrite rules mixed up to the
> point of having the server process chew up lots of memory.

Thanks Robert!  I've virtually performed no customizations other than
commenting out "RedirectMatch ^/$ /apache2-default/" in
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default.  It says that it "still [has] /
go to the right place" but this doesn't always seem to be the case for
me.  Other than that, it is pretty much right out of the box.  I assume
the modules loaded are the ones in

	# ls /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/
	alias.load            authz_user.load  mime.load         status.load
	auth_basic.load       autoindex.load   mod_python.load   userdir.conf
	authn_file.load       cgid.conf        negotiation.load  userdir.load
	authz_default.load    cgid.load        perl.conf
	authz_groupfile.load  dir.load         perl.load
	authz_host.load       env.load         setenvif.load

Thanks again,

Paul

--
Paul Yeatman       (858) 534-9896        pyeatman@ucsd.edu