Re: Problem installing packages with apt-get, aptitude and dselect

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 10:55:43AM -0500, José Alburquerque wrote:
> Hi list.  I'm running into a little bit of a problem with package
> management on my system and I was hoping someone out there might help:
>
> My problem occurs with apt-get, aptitude, dselect, synaptic or any other
> front-end to apt.
>
> I can manually download packages and successfully install/upgrade them
> using dpkg.  In fact, I gave the 'smartpm' package manager a try and
> found it to work successfully because it uses dpkg directly and not apt.
>
> My problem is as follows:  When I run 'aptitude upgrade' or 'apt-get
> upgrade' I get a segmentation fault when it tries to update the list of
> packages (I guess that's what the message says, but it is overwritten
> with "Segmentation fault"):
>
> [10:22][root@sweety:~]$ aptitude upgrade
> Segmentation faultsts... 0%
> [10:22][root@sweety:~]$
snipped various permutations of segfaults

> Unfortunately, I can't install any new packages with apt-get or aptitude
> and cannot upgrade as I normally do with either of them.  Anyone know
> what might be going on or how I might fix this?  I'd really appreciate
> some help.  Thanks so much in advanced.

what version of apt-get?

check out bug 401263.

Interestingly, though the bug says it applies to 0.6.46.2, I am
running that with no problems. (k7 arch). but there are a variety of
possible solutions posted.

you may have to use dpkg to manually install an older(or newer) apt until it
gets resolved.

hth