Re: Etch status..?

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 12:10:25AM EST, Douglas Tutty wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 10:15:01PM -0500, cga2000 wrote:

[..]

> > So it looks like I'm stuck with a 2.4 kernel for the lifetime of this
> > laptop.
> >

> What card is not recognized?  I would suggest tackling that as a
> specific problem rather than writing off the 2.6 kernel.

Something had to be written off and the etch installer looked indeed
like a better candidate than the linux kernel.

:-)

As you implied I took it one step at a time, making sure I still had
connectivity after each one of them:

1. Did a minimal Sarge install
2. Installed the 2.6.8 kernel alongside the "native" 2.4.27
3. Upgraded to testing/etch via a dist-upgrade
4. Installed the etch 2.6.17 kernel alongside his two brothers

Everything went well until I tried to boot the 2.6.17 kernel.

Null pointer or something and dies with a kernel oops.

Can a 2.6.17 kernel and the older 2.4.27 & 2.6.8 share the same
partitions -- /etc/init.d startup scripts & config files, eg. ??

Only thing that looked a bit suspicious along the way is that when I did
an apt-get install of this more recent kernel .. when apt does his
"setup" bit right at the end.. well .. there was this very visible
message like with 2-3 lines of asterisks before and after the message ..
asking me to remove/purge the hotplug package .. or rather the hotplug
stuff in /etc/init.d ... IIRC.

So I did a dpkg -l hotplug and it turned out to be in "rc" status -- "r"
as in "removed" but "c" as in "configuration files are still in there"
(and scripts probably) .. that is how I read it.

Now for one one thing I have no clue how I should go about removing that
stuff .. do I do a "dpkg -L hotplug" and delete/rename the files ..

And another thing ... isn't that likely to break the boot process for
the older kernels..?

Not sure I understand this separation of "kernel upgrade" vs.
distribution upgrade would work ..

Wouldn't there be incompatibilities .. ??

I mean .. with different versions of an application you would write
some kind of wrapper script that configures the environment prior to
launching the apps..

With kernels it looks like the only place you can stick in some custom
stuff is your boot parms ..

But then I'm speculating .. problem might lie elsewhere and turn out to
be trivial ..

Maybe the messages issued prior to the crash/hang are of some interest
.. and I could google for similar occurrences ..

Do they get written anywhere where I could retrieve them after the fact?

Funnily enough, while it's nice to have vim 7.0 and some other more
contemporary stuff in user space .. 2.6.8 doesn't do me any good at all

.. I need 2.6.13+ ..

:-(

In any case it's pretty clear now that this had nothing to do with my
hardware not being supported .. wouldn't be one bit surprised if other
PC card NICs were affected in the same manner .. all of them possibly ..

Among the many things I tried was playing with a number of live CD's and
I found that the morphix-based ELive with a 2.6.11 kernel recognized and
configured my NIC correctly and obtained a DHCP lease w/o a problem.

Thanks

cga