Re: localhost in /etc/hosts

On 17.11.06 08:25, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2006-11-14 09:19:09 +0100, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> > I do and I did. However, "hostname -s", contrary to hostname's manual page,
> > does not return first segment of the system hostname, but resolves the FQDN
> > first and returns first segment of the resulting hostname. See my (refused)
> > bugreport: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=345761
>
> The hosts man page is clear.

But the 'hostname' man page is not.

> You should write
>
>   IP_address canonical_hostname [aliases...]
>
> So, in your case (as your machine doesn't have any other IP address),
> you should write
>
>   127.0.0.1 fnote.local fnote localhost
>
> (well, fnote.local isn't even a correct FQDN, IMHO). I don't think
> 127.0.0.1 should necessarily be reversed as localhost; what is
> important is that localhost should resolve as 127.0.0.1, and this
> is OK with the above line.

the problem is, many packages have unexpected behaviour when 127.0.0.1 does
not resolve to localhost. and I do think that 127.0.0.1 should map to
localhost.

(Sorry, I'm too lazy now to search the debian-devel discussion about way to
correctly setting up a hostname)
The 3 biggets disasters: Hiroshima 45, Tschernobyl 86, Windows 95