Re: how to configure network?

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 06:13:52AM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've installed Debian with a 3-month-old network installer on expert
> mode. Reason for this is that it allows for disabling the root
> password, and therefore assigns the initial user as a sudoer. But then
> it does not autoconfigure the network which results in stuff like xine
> and dwww not working. I don't have network access on that particular
> machine, that's why I left the settings out, but I guess there should
> be some configuration anyways. Could someone guide me on how I can
> solve my problem without resorting to a fresh install.

See the debian-reference and the installation manual,  but basically for
an unnetworked box you do need something since everything seems to be
client-server even on the same box.

/etc/hostname contains just the name of you box.  Since you don't have a
network, just call your box localhost, so have one line in /etc/hostname
that says

localhost

/etc/hosts contains basic name resolver information.  It should contain
one line:

127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost

You should now be able to ping localhost and get a response.  This
should be everything you need for a non-networked box.

Doug.