usb drive errors with automount

I just started having trouble automounting my usb drive.  When I plug
it in, the kernel recognizes it:

usb 5-8.1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb 5-8.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb-storage: device found at 5
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
 Vendor: Corsair   Model: Flash Voyager     Rev: 1.00
 Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
SCSI device sdd: 4005888 512-byte hdwr sectors (2051 MB)
sdd: Write Protect is off
sdd: Mode Sense: 00 26 00 00
sdd: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sdd: 4005888 512-byte hdwr sectors (2051 MB)
sdd: Write Protect is off
sdd: Mode Sense: 00 26 00 00
sdd: assuming drive cache: write through
sdd: sdd1
sd 34:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdd
usb-storage: device scan complete

but then, when I try to access it, I see the following messages in dmesg:

FAT: Directory bread(block 515) failed
28:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
FAT: Directory bread(block 516) failed
28:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
FAT: Directory bread(block 517) failed
28:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
FAT: Directory bread(block 518) failed
28:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
FAT: Directory bread(block 519) failed
28:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
FAT: Directory bread(block 520) failed
28:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
FAT: Directory bread(block 521) failed
28:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
FAT: Directory bread(block 522) failed
28:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device

This just started happening.  I've been using automount successfully
for several months on Debian testing.  I'm using kernel 2.6.16.13.

Here's what's in /etc/auto.removable

key_drv                -fstype=vfat,rw,async,uid=1000,gid=1000 :/dev/key_drv1

I've tried unloading the ehci_hcd module, since I'd had similar
troubles with it in the past, but no luck.  Any ideas?