OpenSSL version 0.9.7e ?!

I had a strong *shrug* when i noticed that my stable system
(originally woody, upgraded to sarge without kernel change) still had
OpenSSL version 0.9.7e installed, despite a dayly dist-upgrade.

After looking at debian's sarge repository, i saw that the most up to
date package is 0.9.7e-3sarge4, which i have (0.9.7 dates back from
2004). My question is, why on earth don't we have a newer version ?

I counted about 12 different releases, either 0.9.7- or 0.9.8-based,
each including security fixes. I could understand the will not to
upgrade to 0.9.8, but i count 7 more recent 0.9.7 versions (up to
0.9.7L version, and the stable debian package build version is -4...

Even with a backport of the security fixes, i can't guess how the ssl
pacakge i have 0.9.7e-3sarge4 could be the most up-to-date one
(security wise).

I though that all the security fixes were included into sarge, am i wrong ?
If someone could give me some details, i'd be quite happy to learn :-)

--
Nicolas Pillot (nicolas.pillot@gmail.com)