Re: C++ exception handling question [solved]

Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> writes:

> This is really interesting. man malloc calls the default behavior
> of the kernel a really bad bug, with which I agree. kernel-docs
> sysctl/vm.txt justifies the default by claiming it is helpful to
> programmers who 'malloc() huge amounts of memory "just-in-case" and
> don't use much of it.' I had thought such programmers were rare in the
> Linux world, as they are all happily writing garbage code for
> BillG. But, oh well. Now I know how to make my code work under Linux.

If you expect your program to run on FreeBSD, then you might want to know
that it does the same (at least according to this guy):
http://www.baus.net/memory-management
(I don't know for sure, since I don't use FreeBSD personally).
And according to this article, these aren't the only OSes that have this
feature:
http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/subprocess/subprocess.html

Also, when you have time, you really should read about on google. There
are some interesting discussion for and against the memory overcommit
feature/bug.

--
John L. Fjellstad