Re: Making an ext2 filesystem on a DVD+RW

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> > modprobe pktcdvd
> > pktsetup /dev/pktcdvd0 /dev/hdd
> > ioctl: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> >
> > Can anyone advise me on this?

Make sure that your kernel has pktcdvd support. Then try:

  pktsetup 0 /dev/hdd

If you use udev, the device file /dev/pktcdvd/0 should appear
instantly.  Using that device you can use any filesystem you
want on the disc.  Be sure to run

  pktsetup -d 0

after unmounting to flush all buffers to the disk.  To write to
the disc, you need the packetcd driver, reading works without
it, too.

> IIRC, you can only use iso9660 or udf filesystems on DVD or CD media.

I regularly use ext2 on DVD+RW discs. No problem.

Regards,
Dennis