Re: maildrop "lockfile" error with maildir

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 10:53:53PM -0600, Russell L. Harris wrote:
  pop3.isp.com -> getmail4 -> maildrop -> [ maildir structures ] -> mutt

I created the maildir structures manually, using the command:

   $ mkdir -p ~/mail/<new-maildir-name>/{cur,new,tmp}

I am getting errors of the following variety:

Delivery error (command maildrop 20225 error (75, /usr/bin/maildrop: Unable to create a dot-lock at computer/20225.0.cromwell.))

maybe its a permissions issue on your maildirs?

Here is my "~/.mailfilter" file:

   DEFAULT="$HOME/mail/nondescript/"

   ### flagged by SpamAssassin

   if ( /^Subject:.*SPAM/ )
   to spam

in procmail, you'd put a / after the destination to use it as a
maildir, maybe you need that in maildrop? maybe its trying to create
an mbox called spam with a directory already exits and that's causing
problems.
just a .02 guess.

Hi, Andrew.

Since I wrote the message, I've made a little progress; it turns out that the locking error message (unexpected, inasmuch as I am using maildirs) disappeared once I defined

   MAILDIR="HOME/mail"

and then included "$MAILDIR" in the expression in the "to" statements:

   to $MAILDIR/computer/mutt

Once I have everything checked out thoroughly, I'll post a report to the list. At the moment, I'm trying to figure out why an OR condition in several of the patterns appears not to work as advertised.

I shall look over your examples shortly.  Thanks!

RLH