flavours of LaTeX

Sorry to ask what must be a common question, but I can't find the
answer!

I've two Debian boxes. One one (sarge) it appears that `latex` is really
`e-TeX` whereas on the other (unstable) it appears that `latex` is
really `pdfeTex`. It must have been like this for a while and I've not
had any problems (or at least not noticed them!) shifting files between
the two until recently. Now I have to use another's .sty file and it
appears that 'e_TeX' will read in .eps files but 'pdfeTex' won't..

Could somebody please point me in the direction of documentation (or
tell me if it's brief!) about (a) how these happen to have been set up
differently, (b) how to change one so that both are the same.

Thanks, Michael