Re: argh! linux and floppies

Douglas Tutty wrote:
> If you look in your /etc/fstab for the entry under floppy, you'll
> probably see something like:
>
> /dev/fd0    /floppy    auto    user,noauto    0    0
>
> Its the 'auto' that's the problem.
>
> Try mounting it manually to determine what types to put
> here.

You mean like:

westk[@westk03]:/home/westk> sudo mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 mnt
FAT: invalid media value (0xf6)
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev fd0.

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

westk[@westk03]:/home/westk> dmesg | tail
floppy0: data CRC error: track 3, head 0, sector 5, size 2
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 112
floppy0: data CRC error: track 3, head 0, sector 14, size 2
floppy0: data CRC error: track 3, head 0, sector 14, size 2
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 121
floppy0: sector not found: track 0, head 0, sector 3, size 2
floppy0: sector not found: track 0, head 0, sector 3, size 2
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 2
FAT: invalid media value (0xf6)
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev fd0.

Granted, I only tried on three floppies, on two different machines, but
one of the floppies was then taken to a Windows machine where it worked
fine.

It could be that both of my floppy drives have died since I last used
floppies, but that seems a mite suspicious.

I plan on trying these floppies on another couple of Debian boxes at
work tomorrow.

And I think I'll boot up this machine from Knoppix and see how it
handles these floppies. More info later ....

--
Kent West
Westing Peacefully <http://kentwest.blogspot.com>