dist-upgrade kicks out nvidia-glx

I noticed when I dist-upgrade a testing system it now wants to remove
nvidia-glx.  In case others are wondering what's going on, here's what I
think I found.  And, if you have thoughts on how to proceed, I'd love to
hear them.

xserver-xorg-core 2:1.1.1-10 (the one that is now in testing, but not
yet on my system) conflicts with xserver-xorg-video

My current nvdia-glx 1.0.8762-2  provides xserver-xorg-video.  The one
in unstable, 1.0.8776-1 provides xserver-xorg-video-1.0.

There is currently no version of nvidia-glx in testing, apparently
because of an RC bug that is being kept open specifically to prevent
migration (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=363324).
Possibly related to that, the stock builds of nvidia-kernel-2.6.xx are
not in testing.

Use of the unstable versions implies using a 2.6.18 kernel, which is
also not in testing because of RC bugs.

I'm thinking the best way to proceed might be to build an nvidia-kernel
package to go with the current testing kernel (2.6.17--is that the one
that will be released?).  Some of the 2.6.18 linux kernel bugs make me
hesitant to install it, which seems like the other possibility.

Or perhaps if I wait, things will get sorted out? Until then, there's a
large overhang of to-be-updated packages.  Aside from being ugly, that
means I'd be missing some security fixes.  If I did an upgrade (rather
than dist-upgrade) there would be fewer packages held back, but the
result of that looks as if it would partially update core systems (xorg
and KDE), and I suspect the result could be a bit flakey.

Note that the nvidia-related packages (nvidia-glx, nvidia-kernel-*, etc)
are non-free, since they rely on some binary only code.  There is a free
driver known as nv.  Unfortunately, the latter not only has poor
acceleration, it doesn't work at all on one of my systems (at least when
I last tried, quite a few months ago).

--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 514-8146
185 Berry St #5700                               ross@biostat.ucsf.edu