switching from mbox to maildir in mutt, exim, etc.: how?

I'm looking at my system backups and notice that there is some clutter
form mbox files being updated almost daily. I think the clutter would
be reduced by switching to maildir (true?), but I wonder about other
consequences of such a switch. In particular, when I google the topic
of how to switch, I find only people asking the question, and some
comment to the effect 'why bother?', but no answers. Is it a bad idea
for reasons which I have not yet fathomed? Where can I find a recent
HOWTO that adresses Debian issues, if it is not bad?

TIA
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net