Re: How do I rebuild alternative symlinks?

I found a way to do it, but I think the solution was less than ideal:

Install "Debarnacle" from CPAN (isn't even in debian...)

Run this command:

perl -MDebian::Debarnacle::Alternatives -e 'my $i = Debian::Debarnacle::Alternatives->get_list; while(my($l,$r) = splice(@$i,0,2)) { symlink($l,$r); print "$l $r\n"; }'

Now I have all my symlinks back... but I have a few questions still:

  1) is there a way to do this with just dpkg?

  2) if not, should there be? (update-alternatives --reinstall-all?)

  3) is it a bug or "feature" that keeps update-alternatives from installing
the symlinks in usr/bin and elsewhere if the ones in /etc/alternatives
already exist?

Thanks,
	Tyler