printing on Canon LBP2900 [solved]

Hi,

I'd like to share my experience with connecting Canon LBP2900 printer to debian box.
Debian sarge 3.1r3, standard installation with Cups printing, slimmed of Gnome desktop and exim which I don't use.
Due to buggy(?) manual for Canon driver I spent two frustrating evenings on trying to make it work. Googling shows a lot of people have this problem too.  May this description help.

Problem:

Canon delivers binary drivers as RPM files with the manual on their corporate page
(http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0023675.asp?model=)

I debianized packages (alien --to-deb), installed the printer from printer manager (/localhost:631)
Everything went flawlessly, test page was sent to the spool and... nothing happened. The printer manager displayed "pstocapt write error, 32".

OK, it's a pity I didn't reference the driver's manual. I deinstalled the printer and followed precisely steps proposed by Canon.

But step 5 of the manual:
"/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p LBP2900 -m CNCUPSLBP2900CAPTK.ppd -v ccp:/var/ccpd/fifo0 -E"
produced another error: "client-error-not-possible"
dead end.

Solution:

First of all - helpful link:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Canon_LBP_2900_HowTo
But following these instructions I still had "client-error-not-possible"

Real breakthrough was another link (french): http://www.developpez.net/forums/showthread.php?t=83379
in general: RPM packages must be unpacked with -nodeps option, what Canon forgot to remark in their manual.

I don't know RPM system but I supposed it was for ignoring dependencies.
So I depackaged debianized RPMs with dpkg -i --ignore-depends and repeated the installation.

Now the printer works perfectly.

good luck !

regards