Bind problem rndc fails to connect

Having updated my bind config files, I try and reload them, but the rndc
program fails to connect as shown below

root@roo:~# /etc/init.d/bind9 reload
Reloading domain name service...: bindrndc: connect failed: connection refused
 failed!
root@roo:~#

I have been running bind for several years now, and this problem seems to come
and go quite frequently.  However its been a while, since I last updated my
dns config, so I can't remember what the way out of it is.  I think its
something to do with needing to regenerate the key (but why I don't know)

Can someone advise as to what I need to do so that I can get out of it, and
(perhaps more importantly) how does rndc get into this state where it fails
to connect in the first place?

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk