Re: Sound via ssh

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 02:57:56PM +0200, Christian Christmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've a Debian machine with a sound card. I can play
> mp3 with libOSS.so. When I connect to this machine with
> ssh from another machine (it's a Sun terminal) with X
> forwarding, I can start xmms and it also starts playing
> the mp3. However, the sound is not forwarded to my
> headphones connected to my Sun terminal. What is wrong?
> Do I need to install any more modules/programs?
>
> Regards,
> Chris

X forwarding does not include the sound. To achieve what you want
you need some form of streaming. vlc might be the easiest way.
Also in another forum someone bragged it can be done with arts (or whas
that esound?) using some obscure undocumented features.

Regards,
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)