Re: startup services and rc.d

--- Andrew Critchlow <a_critchlow@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone give me a rundown on how startup scripts
> work in debian and how you would star up services
> upon system startup etc. Plus what are these cmds
> and their meanings:
>
> invoke-rd.d name restart
> /etc/inid.d/name restart
>
> What is this init.d?
>

> If anyone has any links to a website that would be
> great?
>

> many thanks everyone.

Do you mean invoke-rc.d? You can read it on its manual
or in
http://www.annodex.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html?invoke-rc.d+8

In simpler a explanation, both invoke-rc.d or
/etc/init.d are used to invoke services on Linux. The
example you've picked, `invoke-rd.d name restart` and
`/etc/inid.d/name restart` are used to restart one of
Linux Services or Daemons.
Further, as you know, Linux has seven (0 - 6)
run-level. Everytime you change run-level, Linux has
to invoke some of their services or daemons. Linux
does it by running some scripts. You can see the
scripts in /etc/init.d/. These scripts is symbolic
linked in /etc/rcx.d, where x is the run-level. You
might see some number in symbolic links name. It
refers to the priority. And the first letter (S or K)
stands for Start or Kill the services or daemons.

I hope this will help you understand the matter.