Re: 1 CPU or 2 ?

On 10/14/06 21:15, michael wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:04:53 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote

>>> Go with whatever you can get cheeper.  If it is primarily an NFS server,
>>> any CPU over 1 GHz will do.  Even a single cpu with a single core.  The
>>> only concern is if you are using a 10 Gbps network card.  If money is a
>>> concern, you are not going to be using a 10 Gbps network card.
>> Other questions to ask:
>> - - How many users will it be serving?
>> - - How "busy" will it be?  Even if you are only serving one system,
>>   will it be a streaming uncompressed High Def video server, or an
>>   MPEG-2 and MP3 server for 1 person.?
>
> Probably about 100-150 workstations.

Good to know.

How many concurrent users?  (I.e., they won't *all* be hitting the
box at the *exact* same time, will they?  I doubt it.)

> This server will also run proxy, email and web, but my main concern was
> NFS as I'm kinda new to it.
> Basically, from the money we have available, it looks like I can
> afford an Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 2.67GHz, with a $150 Motherboard, or
> 2 x  Intel Xeon 5130 @ 2.0Ghz with a $450 Motherboard.
>
> I guess put another way, for a Sarge server that does pretty much everything,
> would you rather have 4 cores at slower speed, or 2 cores at faster speed?

For a multiuser system, *I* would go for more, slower CPUs.  Each
process gets more of a CPU that way.

> Another problem currently, is I can't even install Debian on a test box that
> I have. Intel motherboard with ich8 chipset. (would use E6700 CPU)
> So, I'm wondering if a motherboard with xeon chips which would use the
> 5000V chipset let me install the system.

Why not an Athlon 64X2 single-socket board, or an Opteron 2xx dual-
socket board?  They have great memory bandwidth and an excellent SMP
design.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA