Re: [OT] could i use acer recovery from cd after parttion and mbr change ?

On (12/10/06 16:31), Jabka Atu wrote:
> Hello..
> this is Off topic but :
> I'd like to install Debian 64 on my acer 5102wlmi(notebook).
> by that i will change the parttion structure and i don't know if i could
> restore the system after crash.
>
> did anyone tried this ? .

I've got a 1524WLMi which runs XPHome, a couple of sid systems and
Ubuntu plus some space to spare for experimentation.  You need to shrink
your XP partition (defrag first) and then partition using either the
Debian install disk or a live CD (I usually do the latter).

If you have to restore using the Acer system disk, it will restore to
the C: drive and leave the other partitions intact. I've done this a few
times on my machine and on my partner's 2003WLMi.  What it will do is
overwrite the MBR and the grub boot menu will disappear.

If you then boot with a live CD (I use Debian From Scratch) you can get
a grub boot menu and boot your debian system manually.  Once in you
reinstall grub to the hard disk and away you go.
http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/dfs/html/
http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/gnu/grub/html_chapter/grub_1.html

Regards

Clive