Re: startx and xfce

On (08/10/06 08:08), Peter Easthope wrote:
> Incidentally, I've not monkeyed with any of the
> scripts.  They are just as installed.
>
> At Mon, 25 Sep 2006 09:56:38 -0500 Mumia W. Paduille said,
> Debian uses its "alternatives" system. Startx (probably) invokes
> /usr/X11/.../xinitrc which (probably) invokes /usr/bin/x-session-manager
> which links to /etc/alternatives/x-session-manger which links to
> xfce4-session.
>
> There is no /usr/X11/ here.  /usr/X11R6 exists.  Perhaps
> your system was built a few months earlier than mine.
>
> "which startx" reports /usr/bin/startx which
> defines
> sysclientrc = /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
> which invokes /etc/X11/Xsession
> which defines a bunch of X related variables such as
> OPTIONFILE=/etc/X11/Xsession.options
>
> At which point there are so many possibilities that
> I lose track.  Seems that the only practical way to
> understand, is to make each suspect script report it's
> own invocation to a console or log.  By adding a line
> such as this for example.
>
> echo "/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc invoked" >> ?.log
>
> **** Someone please tell me how to do this properly. ****
>
> At Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:40:06 +0100 Clive Menzies said,
> > I think you'll find it in your home directory: .Xsession
>
> There is a .Xauthority and a .xsession-errors.
> /home/peter/.Xsession does not exist here.
>
> At Fri, 29 Sep 2006 08:39:46 +0200 Nyizsnyik Ferenc said,
> > Debian uses .xsession. For example, my .xsession file contains:
> > /usr/bin/startxfce4
>
> nf> So my default desktop environment is Xfce. My wife doesn't have
> nf> an .xsession file in her home directory, so her default is Gnome.
>
> There is no /home/peter/.xsession here and the default
> GUI remains Xfce.
>
> Any slightly perceptive observer will inevitably wonder
> whether all the indirection and other complexity is
> necessary or even beneficial.  Does anyone ever think
> of building an efficient GUI for Linux?

I guess what you've described is the open source development model in
action.  For those who want a straight GUI solution you've got KDE,
Gnome (and maybe XFCE) which require little CLI configuration.  Then you
have the lean, mean window managers: fluxbox, fvwm etc. and a range
in between.  Whilst they all do a similar job, they can differ
enormously in their approach which includes configuration.  When you
start mixing them together is where complexities arise.

I suspect all you need to do is create an .xsession file in your home
directory - mine's for fluxbox and looks like this:
clive@Darius:~$ cat .Xsession
gkrellm &
firefox &
mutt &