Re: Debian-friendly ISP in Milwaukee area?

On Sat October 7 2006 05:08 pm, you wrote:
> On Oct 7, 2006, at 6:59 PM, Alan Ianson wrote:
> > On Sat October 7 2006 04:43 pm, Jeffrey Rolland wrote:
> >> Hello, all!
> >>
> >> In my recent posting, I have stated that I am trying to log onto a
> >> dial-up ISP that doesn't support Linux, and requested help. I do not
> >> hold out much hope for help, so I'd like to try another avenue.
> >>
> >> Does any one know of a standard, $10/month dial-up ISP with local
> >> access numbers in Milwaukee, WI that officially supports Linux
> >> (hopefully even Debian)?
> >
> > I haven't used dial-up for a number of years but have used it in
> > the past.
> > When I first started using linux I was using dial up and had no
> > problems with
> > it so I think it should work OK regardless of what the ISP thinks
> > of Debian
> > and/or linux.
> >
> > I think I won't be able to help myself since I've forgotten now how
> > it works,
> > but I'm sure someone here can help you if you can give us some
> > indication of
> > what is wrong.
> >
> > Does your modem work with linux? The modem in this box doesn't
> > (winmodem) but
> > since I don't use a modem anymore I don't worry about it. I did use
> > this
> > modem some years ago but I had to compile a module for it (long
> > story).
>
> The modem (/dev/ttyS0) works fine; it dials up and negotiates a
> connection with both KPPP and pon. The problem is logging onto the
> network.

I hope you don't mind I CC'd the list since I think you'll get better help
there than I can give you.

I can remember fiddling with my chat scripts and the options for the
connection.. :) I just can't remember now what I had to do to get it going.
Maybe someone using dial-up will be able to help.