Re: Is shorewall abandoned in sid?

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 22:37:25 +0000
Pollywog <linux-debian@shadypond.com> wrote:

> Nevermind
>
> I used the source from Sid and compiled it, even in Sarge.

One thing to keep in mind about Shorewall. Since Shorewall
development is much faster than the Debian release process and the
author of Shorewall does not support old versions, you need to decide
where you want to go for support. If you want to get help from the
Shorewall mailing lists, you are probably better of using the
latest version from the Shorewall site. If you are happy with getting
support from Debian sources, you can stay with the Debian packages.

Personally, I use Debian because of its stability. I don't like
upgrading production software unless I have to. For me, the Debian
support structure works fine and I use the Shorewall version in Sarge.
Asking for help with a Debian packaged version of Shorewall
on the Shorewall list will usually result in a tongue lashing from Tom
Eastep ;)

--
Bill Thompson
BillT@Mahagonny.com