Re: eth0 (Realtek 8139) suddenly not working

Hi
On Sunday 17 September 2006 23:19, Peter Thomassen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm still introducing a friend of mine to Linux by phone.
>
> Yesterday and the days before, his Realtek 8139 NCI worked out of the box
> using DHCP. Today, no IP is received over DHCP; instead, the boot script
> does several tries after different intervals and finally gives up.

[snip]
> After the reboot, I noticed that 8139too wasn't loaded, so we modprobe'd
> it; then ifdown eth0, ifup eth0. No success.
>
> Maybe it's useful to know that dmesg says that eth0 is a Realtek 8139. I
> don't know what to do -- do you?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

I've had something similar happen with my desktop.

Similar hardware, realtek 8139 PCI ethernet card.

If I hibernate the computer from windows (either 2000 or vista), windows
somehow disables the NIC.  The router no longer shows a connection.

Linux doesn't manage to enable the NIC during bootup, (the moduels are
loaded, it thinks the interface is up, but the router still shows no
connection) and I need to boot windows to fix things.

Andrew V.