Etch new install can´t see my serial mouse

Just installed a brand new etch on a athlon2400. Mouse is serial and xorg won´t load complaining 'no core pointer'.
I tried both imps2 and explore-something (the only 2 options), but no good.
I also tried to locate my mouse, doing:
cat /dev/input/mice (which is the suggested location, by dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg)
cat /dev/ttyS0 (worked to me several times in the past)
cat /dev/ttyS1
cat /dev/ttyS2
cat /dev/ttyS3

None of them seem to have a mouse. ttyS0 when catted, throws a bunch of random unreadable chars in the screen without me even touching the mouse. When ctrl-c´ed, the prompt is left screwed. The other tty´s don´t cat anything at all.

any ideas?
thanks!