Debian Proxy Server

Dear Debian Support,

Our K-8 elementary/middle school is considering the use of a Debian Linux
machine as a cache proxy server and web filter.  We have a strictly
Windows environment at this time and have No Linux experience.

I was reading some of the Debian documentation on your web site and have a
computer science background.  I have read an article titled "How To Set Up
A Debian Linux Proxy Server" and remember using Unix in the early 1980's.

My question is:  Can I set up an i386 computer with Debian Linux, Squid,
and a webfilter (SquidGuard or DansGuardian) to act as a cache proxy
server on our network?  We already have a gateway (router) and a
file/printer server (Windows Server 2003).  I just want the Linux machine
to act as a cache proxy server and web filter.  I do NOT want the Linux
machine to act as a router/gateway.  I do NOT want the Linux machine to
act as a web page or e-mail server.

I realize that I will need to configure our web browsers to utilize the
proxy server.

Is the use for Debian Linux a good choice for this application?

Randy Houk
Saints Simon and Jude School
Pittsburgh, PA USA