Re: How does Debian load the kernel modules

Wackojacko wrote:
Zheng Da wrote:

Does Debian load LKM automatically?
If it does, in which way? With the kernel module loader or with a kerneld daemon? I find that there is /etc/modules, but it list only a few modules. lsmod shows me many more.
So I wonder how the other modules is loaded?

There are hardware detection packages like discover, hotplug (sarge only) and udev (incorporating hotplug in etch/sid) that detect the hardware and load the appropriate modules on boot. /etc/modules is there for the things these don't detect, although in theory you could right udev rules for them in most cases.
lsmod shows me many modules, and some of them aren't used.
So how to prevent them being loaded?
These modules aren't listed in /etc/modules

HTH

Wackojacko