Re: debian forum

On Sunday 24 September 2006 10:16, Raquel wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 09:23:05 -0400
> "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:

> > > I'm curious: what does your new forum have to offer that would
> > > make me want to use it over, say, forums.debian.net? Moreover,
> > > why do you think it more beneficial to create yet another Debian
> > > forum as opposed to helping promote one of the others that
> > > already exists? This thread started with someone complaining
> > > that forums.debian.net is too small with only ~7000 registered
> > > users - fragmenting the user base even more widely with your
> > > offering doesn't seem like it's going to do much to help solve
> > > that problem.
> > >

> > Agreed.  While it is obvious that there is demand for a forum, I
> > do not believe that there is enough demand for two or more.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > -Roberto
> > --
>
> But then, Debian is all about "freedom".  Right?  At least that's
> what we were hearing in the "spam" subject.
>
> --
> Raquel
all about freedom, but with such a small user base for an already existing forum, I'm going to exercise my
freedom and support the one that already has 7000+ members and help it to grow into a more widely
used venue.

On the other hand, anyone out there is also perfectly free to set up another forum for all five of the people
who may initially use it.  When it shows itself to be in some way(s) superior to the existing forum, either in functional
capability or in the eventual number of users that may subscribe, I'm sure those of us who use forums will
come running.

Have to emphasize Andrew's question, though:

> > > I'm curious: what does your new forum have to offer that would
> > > make me want to use it over, say, forums.debian.net? Moreover,

At this moment in history, I would hate to see the "only 7000" on the existing forum fragmented, but, hey,
it's a Darwinian thing.  If it is some way better, it will win out.

My 2 cents.

Allen