Re: Writing to vfat /media/sda without sudo

Mathias Brodala said...
> Hello Marc.
>
> > I have a mount defined in fstab as follows
> >
> > /dev/sda8       /media/sda8     vfat    defaults		0       0
> >
> > All fine and dandy, but I would like to make this partition universally
> > available for writing; currently it's only available via sudo.
>
> You have to specify an appropriate umask then. (See the manpage of mount.)

Thanks for the suggestions all. I settled on

/dev/sda8    /media/sda8    vfat    umask=0707,gid=100 0 0

That is, read, write and execute to members of the gid, which is
'users'. This makes it easy to change the group should I wish to later.
It also doesn't give away mounting privs, which I wanted to retain.

--
Best,
Marc