Re: number of machines running Debian?

On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 01:50:51AM +0000, Gustavo Franco wrote:

> FYI, we had more than 1.2 million web servers (yeah, just web servers)
> running Debian[0] in 2005.
>
> If you add Debian web servers not publishing this information, others
> servers (2 * 1.2, at least?), desktops, embedded and others (3 * 1.2
> ?) we've much more than 7.2 million installations running now. Just a
> guess of course, but i think the exact number is around 10 million.
>
> [0] =
> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2005/12/05/strong_growth_for_debian.html

I'd say that is *highly* optimistic.  The article says "more than 1.2
million active sites."  There is a huge difference between active sites
and web servers.  There are ISPs who manage to server hundreds of web
sites from one web server.  There are also ISPs like SpeakEasy who host
thousands upon thousands of websites from a web cluster (running Debian)
which appears like three or four logical hosts to the outside world.

Anyhow, if you are conservative and say 10 sites per web server, then
you are looking at more like 120,000 actual boxes running Debian to
server up public web pages.

Regards,

-Roberto
--