GS and fonts (was Re: CUPS suddenly doesn't like WP8 Postscript)

On 9/16/06, Alan Greenberger <ajgreenberger@fast.net> wrote:
On 2006-09-15, Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@gmail.com> wrote:

> All of a sudden, the Postscript generated by WP8's Passthrough Postscript
> won't print properly.  The first page of a document prints, but no more.
> I've tried to print to PDF and to a printer which has before printed WP8's
> Postscript without trouble, so I'm thinking maybe there's an underlying
> problem with Ghostscript?  Any suggestions for diagnosis and correction
> would be welcome, and will be added - if successful - to my page on WP8 and
> Debian.

I had problems with WP8 printing on Sarge.  I don't know if the problem
is in gs-esp or hpijs.

Workaround 1: Told WP to use its own printer driver for LaserJet 5L
instead of passthrough ps.  This also sped up printing.  One file still
wouldn't print so

Workaround 2: Saved that as passthrough ps file.  Open with Kghostview
and print to PDF.  Open PDF with acroread and print from there.  (It
creates postscript again but apparently different from the original.)

Thanks for these suggestions.  I saved the file as a .ps file; I then printed it using

#gs -sOutputFile=|lp filename.ps  [that's a 'pipe' to lp]

It printed, but the fonts were not as in the original document, and so it occurred to me that fonts might be my problem.  The original document (because its recipient wants it so) uses the Georgia font; only the first page printed and then nothing.  Documents using Helvetica still print just fine.

So, a new question, how can I get gs to use my Georgia font?

Patrick