Re: start networking problem

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 01:49:57PM -0400, Marty Landman wrote:
> How can I avoid having to go through this?

Easy. Go to /etc/network/interfaces (which is a file) and put your
data there like this:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your
# system

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.101
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.1

Concerning the Nic, put the driver name into /etc/modules (which is,
again, a file) so that the kernel can load it at boot time.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Roman