Re: laser printer recommendation for personal use?

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 11:50:37AM +0100, B.Hoffmann wrote:
> Hello dear list users,
>
> it's been a while (6 years) since I last owned a printer but now the
> time has come where it looks needed at home.
>
> Always liked the Samsung or Brother models due to small footprint and
> looks (well one can argue about that) but not sure how good they are
> with Linux and specifically our favourite distro.
>
> Talking about b/w laser printer. As it's for personal use the highest
> page number per minute is not essential, and 4MB memory would probably
> be overkill.
> Important to me is 1.) usb connectivity these days and/or 2.) ethernet
> to connect to my router (D-link DI-604) for better accessibility from
> all machines over the network.
> Ethernet connectivity would be nice and I could forgo usb then. (No wifi
> in this house for at least another two years.)
>
> Machines here are all using 2.6.xx kernels, the power specc'ed one
> Debian Etch, an old Duron one Ubuntu 5.10 (which will probably be
> changed to Etch as well later in the year) and usually one other distro
> to play around /test.

I wouldn't mind knowing your reasone for switching from
Ubuntu to Etch -- not that I'm surprised.  I've been forced in the
opposite direction by xorg crashes.

> Thank you for your suggestions. Hope this is not OT.

I'm using a brother HL-1870N which just connected to my ethernet, and
automatically became accessible to all the machines on my LAN with only
trivial configuration.

I use CUPS on Linux.
It works on Windows, too.

If I were to forward the relevant ports you could probably print on my
printer, too.

It does not do colour, though.  I'm looking for a recommendation for an
inexpensive, *very* *reliable* colour printer that's good enough for a
graphic artist and is completely Linux-compatible.  I doesn't have to be
fast.  I'd appreciate a waterproof ink.

My epson 777i tended to clog, wasn't very Linux-friendly (my Windows
machines have been dying, becomeing unreinstallable, though Linux
soldiers on) and now the ink has become drippy.

-- hendrik