Re: Linux Will Get Buried (Off)

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:24:40 -0700
"K. Richard Pixley" <rich.pixley@palmsource.com> wrote:

> The linux market hasn't really ever competed in those markets.  There
> aren't any serious photography apps, video editing apps, etc.  What will
> hurt linux in the market place is DRM.  I can play dvd's on my mac.  I
> can't on most out-of-the-box linux distributions.

That's only (mostly) because the installation media (whatever your
distro) can't bring in libdvdcss. Apple can ship the equivalent because
whatever they use for that function is something you'll not likely ever
see the source code for. Of course, many Linux users (as true with
Apple users as well) aren't all that interested in whatever libdvdcss
does, but just want to be able to play DVDs on their box.

I'm just a newbie to digital photograhy, but I've looked at iphoto a
bit and decided I didn't really like it. I have (imho) better software
for display, management, and alteration of digital photographs.

drm *might* make things easier for the Applo end-user but I believe
that it will hinder much more than it will help. Itunes will be more of
a platform that exists for users to buy music and less a platform for
people to manage it.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.