Re: Etch: can I install xorg without all of those drivers

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 08:26:47PM +1000, Robert S wrote:
> I've just tried to install xorg using
>
> # apt-get install xserver-xorg
>
> I get prompted to install a huge number of input and  video drivers (see
> below).
>
> I want this to be a minimal installation.  Is there any way of
> avoiding installing all of these drivers?
>
> #  apt-get install xserver-xorg
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> <etc>
>  xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-evdev
> xserver-xorg-input-kbd xserver-xorg-input-mouse
>  xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-input-wacom
> xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-apm
>  xserver-xorg-video-ark xserver-xorg-video-ati
> xserver-xorg-video-chips xserver-xorg-video-cirrus
> xserver-xorg-video-cyrix
Hi Robert,
the xserver-xorg-input-all and xserver-xorg-video-all meta-package are
included in the dependencies of xserver-xorg. If you install other
packages that fulfill those dependencies, then you would not need those.
Also, if you install the above, you can than remove
xserver-xorg-input-all and xserver-xorg-video-all and any other unused
drivers, and then the next time you upgrade, it will upgrade only those.
cheers,
Kev