Usb hard-disk wrongly claimed by ehci-hd module

Hi,

Given the number of posts about usb device problems, I thought this might be
of use: on a Thinkpad T40 running testing, my Lacie 40-gig usb drive was
wrongly claimed by the ehci-hd module. This meant that the drive could not be
mounted, and happened on kernels 2.6.16 and 2.6.17.

(Strangely, on a similar no-name laptop using the same kernel config, there
was no problem.)

Once I realised what was happening, I blacklisted the module, so that uhci-hcd
was used, and all was well.

Hopefully, someone else has a more elegant way to achieve this, perhaps with a
udev rule?

Regards,

John