Re: my sarge system won't update

On 09/12/2006 10:46 PM, mark foster wrote:
I'm attempting to update my mail server which runs debian sarge, postfix, etc. However this time it is not working. I did the usual `aptitude update; aptitude upgrade` I'm looking for some help out of this, I'm at a loss being a relative newbie to debian and dpkg. I should note the the 'getent' command seems to have disappeared and I don't know why. dpkg -C does not show any problems. What should I do to fix this?
Fetched 88.0MB in 4m18s (340kB/s)
Can't exec "locale": Input/output error at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 12.
[...]

On my Sarge system, 'getent' is in the libc6 package:
$ dlocate getent
libc6: /usr/share/man/man1/getent.1.gz
libc6: /usr/bin/getent

The C library is rather critical to the system, so you want to investigate to see if it's installed properly.

If you must re-install it, you can get it from a Debian mirror via web browser and probably install it using dpkg.