eth config for pppoe interface

Hi guys,

I was wondering, what is the correct way to configure a network card
that will only be used to connect to a pppoe device?  I know I can use
pppoeconf to configure pppoe dial-up even if the network card is
configured with an IP address.  But I've seen on a number of dedicated
firewall distros (IP-COP et al) that the external interface would have
an IP address like 1.1.1.1 or something else.

So how do I go about doing this the correct Debian-compliant way?  If I
just leave the address settings out of /etc/network/interfaces,
networking won't start and complains about the missing variables.

Thanks
Hans