Re: why still using GCC-2.95 and Linux 2.4.x and 2.2.x?

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
On 9/11/06, James Stevenson <james@stev.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm still interesting in knowing why people still use GCC-2.95 and the
> older kernels, 2.2 and 2.4. As for the kernels, it used to be that the
> older ones were more stable since 2.6 was also a development series,
> but is it still the case.
> The most interesting issue is the usage of Linux 2.2.x series. are
> there any advantages?

Can you state an advantages of this being the other way around.
Say I use a 2.4.x kernel and its been running for a year. Mayby a reboot
here / there for security updates or small hardware changes. Why would I
change this into a newer untested kernel or compiler ?

I get the point. Does this mean that one won't find a new install
using any Linux before 2.6.x these days, unless when using old
hardware?

Pretty much. I haven't seen any new distribution releases that didn't use 2.6 in at least a year or so. The GCC 2.95 branch is also pretty much history. The default compiler for most is some 3.x series for server stable and 4.x for desktop.

T.J.