Re: Re: can't apt-get install

Hi...

Thibaut Paumard wrote:
Le jeudi 31 août 2006 à 12:52 +0200, Michael Noisternig a écrit :
[problems installing xmms... initially]

I'm not sure in the end whether libvorbisfile3 and cdrdao are finally
inbstalled.

They are. I thought you could understand it from the captured apt-get output I posted. I also assumed this would make clear that dpkg worked fine. ;-)

Can you launch aptitude and find the packages that are marked "broken"?
(IIRC, hitting "t" will allow you to navigate through the menu. The
right key is written on the bottom of the screen).

Please post what packages are broken, in which state they are, which
version is installed.

Since I had already fixed it the day before there are no more broken packages or dependencies. However, aptitude found some new "unused" packages; these were:
localization-config, libapt-pkg-perl, and libconfig-inifiles-perl

Also, if you try again installing packages, don't forget to first run
apt-get update, so the list of available packages is updated (this can
also be done from the interactive aptitude session, hitting "u" or
browsing through the menus).

Yep. Done hundreds of times. ;-)

You also did not report about trying installing e.g. libvorbisfile3 with
dpkg, like this (first move into your apt cache):
  dpkg -i libvorbisfile3*.deb
(or whatever the filename is).

See above.

Ok... I don't care about cdrdao, I gave it just as an example. The problem is that I can install as good as *no* packages.

E.g. apt-get install xmms:
<blabla>, then says that 4 new packages must be installed, these are
libglib1.2, libgtk1.2, xmms and (I don't remember)
<blabla>, then the last line is
99% [Working]
That's all.

Eventually I figured the problem is that the packages apt-get hangs on are those that are just not in the testing repository! On navigating the web browser to the lib packages directory, I can find libglib2.0 and libgtk2.0, but no 1.2 versions. Seems like there is some problem!? But isn't apt-get supposed to get the dependencies right?

Thanks again :-)